Thread: I got the call
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 01:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

OMGOSH! I didn't even think of the lopsidedness! I had a REALLY hard time holding my head to that side without pain. Most of the time I had a pillow on that side of my neck (surgical side) between my face and my shoulder, to hold my head up. How in the WORLD are you going to be able to hold your head up if you are having both sides done at the same time?

TRIX...what type tos do you have? Who is your doctor? And what kind of surgery is this? Are you having a rib removed and scalenes? Did they tell you what will be done? Please let us know, cuz if that IS what's going to be done, hon...this just doesn't sound like the "norm." And there is NO WAY this is going to be easy. It's not easy ANYWAY getting one side done. I couldnt' lift a gallon of milk for at least 6 weeks. I could barely walk up the steps at home until that period of time cuz of the breathing issues (and again, that's only HAVING ONE SIDE DONE).

I would seriusly consider speaking to your doctor...finding out how many of these surgeries he/she has done, and how many of them were BILATERAL...and how many of them were done just a couple of days apart. After my surgery, the first 2-3 days I was still in a fog from the medication. I wasn't even ready to be weaned off of the push button morphine until about day #4 or so, the pain is SO BAD. I cannot imagine with such INTENSE pain after one side, having to go and do it all over again on the other side. You aren't going to be able to do ANYTHING for a very very long time. Not even pick up a fork to eat, if you have both done so close together.

And the head bobbing...if you are having a rib removed and scalanes...think about what is going to help you hold up your head. You will be missing 2 ribs and 4 muscles that help you hold up your head. When having one side done, at least there are 2 muscles and one rib left to help compensate...but when you have both sides done, you are going to get pain from the strain of not having something there to HELP COMPENSATE.

I would seriously...very seriously...ask some qurstions, trix.

Many people will JUMP at the chance at havibg surgery cuz they just want the pain to be over with. And they don't listen to those who have btdt cuz dang, here is MY CHANCE to be free of this awful pain and this is going to fix me! But I an truly begging you to 1). answer the questions we've asked about the type of surgery an what they are doing; and 2). ask the questions of your surgeon that I posted within. Please hon....

we are only looking out for you. This is considered major surgery for just one side. And it's dangerous cuz of that phrenic nerve irritation. I'm so worried about yoru breathing, your pain, and your super long recovery period. I'm 9 months post op and still cannot lift my arm without pain over my head. It takes a LONG TIME to heal from this hon. You should at lest have one good arm (or decent arm) while you do.

Please don't be angry with us. WE've btdt and this doesn't sound right.

Hugs
LisaM
LisaM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote