Thread: Any Advice?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 06:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I guess I've noticed problems with my c rib for several years, I just didn't know that it was there. I could always feel a lumb near my neck and it would be the source of pain off and on. I even went to a doctor to find out what the lump was and they just told me it was scar tissue so I left it at that for a long time. Until last year when the pain never went away and it just kept getting worse. They finally did a chest x-ray and found the rib. It's a full right rib and it's only on the right side. Even after they found it, it was hard to find a doctor that would help me. I felt like no one believed that I was even in pain and that the pain was as severe as it was and still is. I'm all for trying most anything before surgery, and I could have done the shots when I was in the doc's office the other day but I was too scared. I'm deathly afraid of needles and I paniced. He told me to look it up on the web and get info about it and decide if I wanted to do it. My other option is manual PT. That's how I found this site. They have me doing both weights and bands in PT, I've got almost a book of things they want me to do, but it's not helping any. I'm still the same as I was before. Thanks for the advice.

Twila
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo55 View Post
Hello and Welcome-

Have you had some problems with this all your life, from the c rib, or did it come on slowly? Due to work, accidents or postures?

Oh and some are a large full set and some are just small and not a complete set of extra c ribs. Did you see you films or did the dr say anything about size, partial or full set?

If it's always been some sort of problem then removal might be a good idea.
If the main cause of trouble is from the extra c rib - usually the surgery for that will have a better result.
But of course only go to an expert surgeon if you do consider any surgery.
{leave surgery as a last resort- well unless you are having serious vascular compressions}

there is good PT and not so good- if they are making you do weights/arm bands while you are still in pain - it's not good.
are they focusing on gentle posture improvement & correction and pain reduction?

i hope you have time to read thru many of our other threads and our useful sticky-

what are your worst symptoms?
Twila27 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote