View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 02:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Post DBS ... and then what?

I hesitate to bring this up ... a complicated issue, easily misunderstood.

For backstory - click here

Reading that previous post, you'll understand that I'm well within the description for DBS surgery, but not suicidally desparate.

My quandry ...

(For the previous 3 years) I live on a generous amount of monthly money from Social Security Disability and a disability annuity from my former employer.

A nasty (and distasteful) Catch-22 arrises in my poor worried brain ... what level of effectiveness from my upcoming DBS surgery will cause me to feel that re-entry into the work force is the right thing for me to do?

Given the wide range of DBS outcome possibilities, (that will also vary over time) this is a difficult issue to come to grips with.

As an untrained laborer, (30 years on a factory floor) the chances of finding employment that would pay anything close to what I receive now are really zero.

Add to that my $520 monthly car loan payment that is being paid for me by a loan insurance company and that my wife will soon go from $450 clear a week to $100 ... and the picture darkens.

This all upsets my thinking and attitude towards the DBS ...

What if the DBS is a roaring success, initially? (and then turns ugly?)

What if the DBS leaves me "close, but no cigar" ... say a 60 - 80 % improvement?

I feel like I'm in a horrible situation of rooting against myself ... to maintain my comfortable financial status quo.

Please. If you choose to comment, consider carefully.

MikeTTF
MikeTTF is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote