View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 02:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I didn't see it! Rats

There's a website for injuries like this - TBPI's. Traumatic Brachial Plexus Injuries. Most are from motocycle accidents, also gunshots. As long as the nerve root is still attached to the spine, a lot of these have (but not all) have good outcomes, because they do surgery immediately if there is an open wound, instead of waiting months or years like we have to do. And if part of the nerve is badly damaged they will often replace it with a nerve graft.

There are also OBPI, Obstetrical Brachial Plexus Injuries, these are the newborns that Drs pull from the mother's womb by the shoulder, sometimes breaking the collarbone. These repair surgeries aren't always as successful, they have to wait months for the baby to be big enough to go under general anesthesia - since it's not life-threatening. And sometimes the nerve roots are abrupted. Even skin grafts aren't always successful because of the amount of time that has passed. The baby's arm sometimes never works, just hangs at his/her side, or has clawed fingers - so very sad

Dr Nath does both types of surgery, but more children than adults I think.

Now what's that web address? www.ubpi.org I think!
United Brachial Plexus Injury Organization - is that right??
be sure and tell me if that's not right, ok?

IT'S WRONG :O www.ubpn.org N, for Network, silly!

Last edited by beth; 10-16-2006 at 03:04 PM. Reason: wrong web addy
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote