View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I also have RLS and PN

When I was first diagnosed with PN in 2001, the doctor also put a name to my leg problems - RLS. I was put on Neurotin and Requip. While the Requip worked, I did not like the way it made me feel.

Fast forward to Spring 2006 when I went on Lyrica. At this point, I was only taking the Requip occasionally. One day I realized that I did not seem to have the symptoms of RLS anymore.

At the end of January (this year), I asked the doctor if we could replace Lyrica with something else as the Lyrica was starting to put weight on and I wanted to see if I could lose some. He put me on Elavil which seemed to work somewhat. I did find that I was taking more Tramadol than I normally was and that the one pill at night was in no way lasting 24 hours. I found I was taking my night pill earlier and earlier to get some relief.

Also, my RLS came back big time. The real test came when I went to a Motocross track with my daughter and grandchildren. My oldest granddaughter (age 10) has raced dirt bikes since she was 5. Anyway, there is a lot of walking involved and it was painful and I was just miserable. The next day I called the doctor for an appointment to see if I could go back on the Lyrica. Thankfully he agreed to it, starting out on 50mg three times a day. I got the prescription locally. He also gave me a prescription to send away for 100mg two times a day. I had been on 150mg three times a day.

I only had to take the first couple of pills and I felt better almost instantly. I had become irritable on the Elavil and did not want to do anything. I had started out on 10mg and then upped to 20mg. So, for a couple of months of experimentation, I found it best to stay with what is working.