View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 04:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
Hi. When I was at Cleveland clinic they talked about how the opiates make your body precieve more pain. Now this could be off a little cause I was in a fog of pain while I was there. So I would assume too that if you are using them every day you are going to experience those days off at the start more painful. Maybe there is something to help you that is not narcotic/opiates. I know many at CC were going through withdrawl and were trying different things but also had to experience more pain. Of course check with your doc. Feel better
From what I'm reading using low dose opiates for RLS is a bit different than treating most other kinds of pain. For some people with RLS the opiates don't work at all...I seem to be one of them. Tramadol, though it acts like an opiate, isn't one in the strictest sense of the word. This doctor from that site uses methadone quite a bit for the most intractable cases of RLS pain with good results.

Treatments for RLS in general seem to be limited to Parkinson type drugs. Neurontin works for some, and now there's Lyrica, which is related to Neurontin. Requip and Mirapex or Lyrica with the addition of Tramadol or opiates seems to be the best and most consistent treatment for severe RLS. However, most GP's are hinky about giving opiates. So most severe RLS sufferers are not treated adequately. And a lot of it is that most doctors are not familiar enough with RLS treatments to do what's necessary for their RLS patients. Kinda sounds like PN, eh? LOL!