View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Don't you kind of find it odd, that the sun, the giver of sunshine, solar panel stuff, the bright shiny thing way up in the sky, that same lovely star that gives us vitamin D, can also kill us with skin cancer.

Good Lord.

See, I grew up on boats, the beach and sunburns, with the peeling and using noxema. Back in my time, you wanted to go to the beach and get as red as you could get because you knew that in time, you would get a nice tan (now how dumb were we way back then).

The guy who used to live downstairs from me (about 10 years ago), was fair with blond hair. He had two skin cancers removed.

I once saw him go outside without a hat. Now I'm not stupid, believe me on this one. I know that when you have had skin cancer (he had some kind of either basal or squamous cell carcinoma), that the next time you go into the sun, you are supposed to slather on sun screen and put on protective clothing. I knew this.

So I said: 'why are you exposing yourself to the sun, don't you know that you can get it again?" And his reply was "Oh, I don't care about that".

Now this was a professional man in his late 40's who had two skin cancers removed from his face. I just stood there and I said "are you serious? you really don't put on sun screen at all and you won't put a hat on?"

He said "Nah, I don't believe in that stuff". And I have a friend's husband who has had a heart attack and still eats red meat, and they just found some spots on his lungs and his pancreas and his reaction was (after having ct scans and everying, his reaction was "I want to live my life the way I want to live my life". So he is continuing his red meat, his drinking, and he actually said: "I like to live like this, so I don't are what happens?

???????????????????????The guy is a grandfather who is raising a 5 year old grandaughter with his wife who has MS.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE THINKING OF THESE TWO INDIVIDUALS??

I know me, if I had ever had some kind of skin cancer removed, that would be my last day in the sun. I know me. And if I had some previous heart attack, I wouldn't be eating red meat or drinking every Saturday night. I don't eat red meat ajnyway, but that's beside the point.

I do not understand how a person can get two skin cancers removed and then go out in the sun without sunscreen or protective clothing.

Makes no sense to me. But I'm clueless here. What is it? A man thing or something?? I know we are supposed to enjoy our lives to the fullest but, well, I just don't understand this way of thinking.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote