Thread: Medical Records
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I'm no lawyer, and I don't know the

laws in NC....But I would THINK that you could get copies of key records from your disability lawyer... As a fact I'd check and see IF you could get a complete set of your 'medical records' for review and future use.
For review, would mean that you could see what all and sundry docs [some you mite never know of/or recall] may have made notes about you in consult with your 'known' docs. Those sundry docs could impact your disability case and you don't want to be surprised.
There would most likely be a hefty 'lawyer's hourly fee' charge attached to getting those copies there, but...they'd probably be more complete than what you'd get from a hospital.
To get copies from a hospital...at least in my state [others are different] I have to fillout a release form...request specifically what I want [like I KNOW???] present ID to prove I'm me and then pay a fee- then wait weeks.
At one point ages ago I did request and get copies of my hospital records-I paid $60. for the copies - they were incomplete. I know this because I got hold of my hospital file by accident and what was IN THAT file was 2 times what was in the copies I'd gotten and THAT file had the good stuff in it.
If it were me? I'd get a copy of the lawyer's files and while not cheap, YOU HAVE THEM!
I've had several surgeries and 'procedures' since my PN onset. Mine is a demeyelinating PN..Be absolutely SURE to emphasize this aspect to any pre-surgical interviews you have [if yours is a demeylinating type] and don't be shy to liken your demeyelinating issue to those who have MS. Why? MS de-m's in the brain and we 'get' the problem in the 'peripherals'. By saying this, I've had 2-4 hour-long surgeries w/o mishap so far. {KNOCK WOOD!} I have also made it crystal clear that if they don't understand and don't play well, I won't play! Sounds harsh, but, you know well the consequences of their not understanding.

PS MS folks really made a lot of inroads about the de-m aspects of anathesia and at times, disastrous side-effects of the wrong knock out drugs on their systems. I for one, am extremely grateful to those folks as I have benefitted greatly from their experiences.

Hope this helps! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote