View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
......See, I grew up on boats, the beach and sunburns, with the peeling and using noxema. Back in my time, you wanted to go to the beach and get as red as you could get because you knew that in time, you would get a nice tan (now how dumb were we way back then)....

Me too Melody! I'm an Aussie....the land of sunshine and beaches. Never in my life have I ever lived further than 15 minutes drive from the ocean, and even then, I was usually closer to a river.

From early childhood to my early thirties I lived at the beach. Swam all year 'round (well almost), and was never without a tan. Now I'm suffering from those days.

Quote:
I know me, if I had ever had some kind of skin cancer removed, that would be my last day in the sun......

Why wait that long? I just had most of my nose removed, and a new one built, because of skin cancer! Don't wait until you're disfigured. I'm so very grateful that I had such a wonderful plastic surgeon to rebuild my face, but it could have been worse!

We need exposure to sunshine for our bodies to get the necessary amounts of Vit D, but stay out of it during the hottest part of the day, and follow the rest of the rules to prevent skin cancers. Remember, we need less than 30 minutes of sunshine a day to get our quota of Vit D.

The point of my post is to let you know that I have low Vit D levels too! Even though my history defies the fact, my levels were rock bottom. I now have osteoporosis, and have broken 6 bones in 5 years! Whether that's because of my low Vit D or because of long term steroid therapy, who knows? All I know is the level was so low my doctor was stunned, and I now take a daily supplement.

I'm sorry to have gotten off topic a bit there Mark, but Mrsd has some excellent suggestions and info for you. Please take heed of what she has to say.

I wish you well, and hope things right themselves for you soon.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote