View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I mentioned about rational and irrational beliefs. My tdoc told me I really need to focus on what is real, not what's in my head.

Irrational belief: I must have love and approval from all the important people in my life.
Truth: I love and accept myself. I don't need approval from others to be happy. If I do get it, it's an added bonus.

Irrational belief: I must do everything perfectly, or at least be a master in at least one area of my life.
Truth: If I do the best that I can most times, that is good enough. I don't have to be perfect. And doing something in a less than perfect way is far better than never attempting it at all.

Irrational belief: A person or situation is making me angry, depressed, sad, drink, talk drugs.
Truth: I am in control of the thoughts that I have that are making me angry, depressed, etc. It may be valid to feel angry, but it is my thoughts that are causing my feelings, not the person or the situation. I am in control, not them/it.

Irrational belief: The way I feel today is influenced by what happened to me in the past. Therefore I will always feel this way.
Truth: The past influences my present as much as I allow it to do so. My thoughts about the past affect my present and my future, but I have ultimate control over the thoughts that I choose to think.

Cats nap, only humans put them "to sleep". Sterilize, don't euthanize!!

BJ
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (04-21-2008), butterfly11 (11-27-2012), kalamity_jane (09-28-2008), Mari (04-21-2008)