View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 04:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashi View Post
As many of you know, I didn't get tenure at the college where I teach, which means that in one year, I will be out of a job. The main reason I didn't get tenure was due to my medical problems. I was delayed getting my master's degree and also wasn't able to complete several things I had volunteered for because of having to deal not only cervical cancer and its treatment, but also these weird MS-like symptoms (no diagnosis yet).

I had to withdraw my application for tenure and resign, which allowed me to teach for another year here, as the other choice would have been to try to appeal the decision (which I was told has never been successful for any other faculty member) and be immediately terminated at the end of this month and have the tenure rejection go into my employment record.

So, I'm wondering, what on earth do I tell potential employers when they ask why I resigned from such a wonderful job that I loved? If I tell them I was rejected for tenure, then that will look bad on me. If I tell them about my medical problems, they probably won't hire me. Yet I can't think of any other valid reason why I would resign from my job.

Any suggestions on how to explain this without ruining my chances during an interview?

Hi Shashi,

I'm so sorry you didn't get tenure at the college you teach at. That is a hard blow. I am also an assistant professor. I am supposed to go up for tenure in 1 1/2 years and may have to ask that the tenure clock be stopped for a year because this MS crap has interfered with my publication schedule and professional life. I have gotten behind in all the things they judge you on for tenure and I'm a bit nervous that I may get rejected too.

My advice would be DON'T tell interviewers that you got rejected for tenure because that will raise immediate red flags. You are right about that. However, you have an option. I agree with Cherie that you could raise the cancer issue and let them know that it has been cured. Tell the potential employers that you needed to take a break to focus on your health and that unfortunately you had no other options but to resign because you were not sure how long the recovery would take. Tell them that you have recovered 100%. Let them know that you would not have left your college job but unfortunate circumstances created no other option but to resign. Don't tell them about the MS symptoms. The cancer can be portrayed as a health crisis that interfered with your career but has been resolved. The MS, of course, is a chronic disease and that could be used against you (whether it is legal to do that or not).

You should check out the website American Association of University Professors (AAUP). They have lots of good legal advice about diabilities, tenure etc. When I got diagnosed last Sept. (and then more officially in Dec.) I had no idea if I should tell people what was going on. I went here to learn what my rights are in academia under the American Disability Act and also just to get practical advice about whether to tell or not and how to handle the situation of chronic illness in the academic workplace.

http://www.aaup.org/aaup

Good luck with the interviewing and I hope you find what you are looking for. I'll be thinking about you.

Warmly,
Natalie
Natalie8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote