View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclelops View Post
I have used Mirapex for RLS for almost 10 years. I have the irresitable urge to move a limb....it can be legs and arms at times...classic RLS.

I have had RLS since childhood...it just got worse and worse as I aged.

Any cold medication, antihistamines, benadryl etc makes it worse, all these things that are anticholinergic,
also amitriptyline, nortriplyline etc..(tricyclics)
Anything that contains SSRI makes it worse.
Any antidopaminergic makes it worse. (Reglan, risperdal etc)

If you take opiates, as they wear off, RLS will kick up for a few days, if you do not take Mirapex.

Things that have helped:
Mirapex
Opiates
Beta blockers
Lyrica

I can not take tramadol due to severe autonomic reactions which required hospitalization...it has SSRI.

I also have paradoxical excitation with opiates, benadryl, chloral hydrate etc. I take an opiate for pain but, as a result don't sleep well. (I have other issues besides PN.)

Have your ferritin checked. I was never able to get my ferritin high enough until lately to stop RLS.

You can be genotyped to see if your 2D6 enzyme makes you a rapid metabolizer or non-metabolizer of many of the drugs I mentioned. Many psychiatrists now are doing it to avoid adverse reactions as so many meds are in the 2D6 family...Mirapex is metabolized by the kidneys not liver.

wemove.org and rls.org have a lot of info. There is also a site out of southern california...can't think of the name...it has a lot of info too.
Thanks so much for this. The sites you mention, two of them I believe, are the same site and is the one I'm currently exploring that has been *so* very helpful. rlshelp.org

I'm currently taking Mirapex which seems to be helping much. No Tramadol needed for the first time in months, last night. Will go without tonight as well for a drug holiday as the Doctor at the rlshelp.org site suggested. Pray I make it through the night. I was fine all day yesterday and through last night. However, today I'm having symptoms of the burning raising it's ugly head once again.

I think I've been to wemove.org but will visit just to see.

I can't take Lyrica. Related to Neurontin and that made me suicidal.

The Tramadol was a miracle for me. The opiates don't seem to help me much. Tramadol acts like an SSRI but is different and for most people doesn't cause a worsening of RLS symptoms. SSRI's did a big number on me. Tramadol has not caused that.

All my life my iron has been closer to high rather than depleted. I came close with my third pregnancy though. That having been said I do plan on asking my
NP to check my ferritin levels rather than iron levels. There is a difference.