View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 06:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Pity the methane stinks so. I've been to farms since I was really young, there are big changes. Basically, a small-scale farm has been economically in trouble for way too long. They are all gone now. Today, though, they might just become viable again because of rising food prices. A small farm has been my dream for a long time. 2 goats, 10 chickens, herbs and veggies, and making things out of the herbs like soaps and tinctures to sell. Possibly an alpaca or two instead of goats, though, gotta move with the times and alpaca produce a gorgeous type of wool that is suitable for people with wool-allergy.

On those small farms they had a big kind of cellar in the ground with a wooden cover that all the cow dung would go to from the winter stables. It would be collected by a fertilizer plant. A whole lot of methane could by syphoned off, positively. The stink would be prohibitive for some uses but no doubt it is being used for many things. The farmers used to collect the dried patches off the pasture in summer for fertilizing other crops.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (04-22-2008)