View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 08:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default O/T House Flooring Question

It just dawned on me that you guys are "nutty" enough to have some helpful insight. Thursday, our washing machine "died." It kept filling and filling and filling. By the time I noticed, there was a beautiful waterfall ending in a stream flowing to both bathrooms. It took a bit to figure it all out, but the hallway is toast, and it went into each bedroom - not the whole floor, but along the wall and into the closets. After doing the towel method, I borrowed a wet vac and got 18 gallons out. We now have all the wet carpet and padding ripped out. Friday, we realized we were in over our heads and called insurance. Today, the ???restoration??? folks showed up. They pulled up the carpet tack strips (which we hadn't got), took lots of water readings, and left two dehumidifiers and an air filter. Tomorrow, we find out the results of the asbestos tests and what happens with our walls (they're talking about ripping out the bottom foot of wallboard).

Anyway, we obviously need to replace the carpet. (We've had fun looking at all the "lovely" linoleum, different in each room and hallway.) But, since we're doing all this DAN! stuff with Tom, I'm trying to figure out what we should do. So... thinking along the lines of allergies... I've recently learned there is organic cotton and organic wool carpeting (and padding to go with it). Or there is hardwood or cork. Sounds like the Pergo route is not recommended for the glues used.

I know some of you have allergy issues above and beyond gluten, so I don't know if you've looked into flooring issues. Any thoughts or insight you have would be appreciated. I'd like to say "money is no object," but you know how things are. Worst case, we figure out what we'd really like to do and do that for Tom's room. The rest of the rooms get Option B, whatever that ends up being. Just as added info, we're on a cement slab... I'm not sure how that affects installing a wood floor.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote