View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Mark, I can identify in many ways.

about 15 months ago I was diagnosed with Hashimotos' thyroid after being hypothryroid for well over a decade. BUT, in my case I knew that my almost ZIP VitD #'s were due to some medications I was on. Anti-seizure and also estrogen blockers - which all deplete a lot of what seems just about everything. [I'd had neuropathy for over 4 years]
Mrs D's advice has been enormously helpful in guiding me to find and tailor my own calcium/Vitamin D/magnesium trio in a way that is working and balanced.
As for a 'D' deficiency being the cause of PN? I do not recall reading anything research-wise in that area. Being low on it certainly doesn't make things any better as it's needed to keep your body on overall balance in terms of processing foods, minerals, vitamins etc. Getting those specific #'s up to somewhere 'right' [not necessarily what is minimal or maximum] for you is your key. It's one of lots of trial and error tho.
That your EMG's showed little? I have to ask - was the testing room COLD? The temperature of your skin and body during such tests can affect the results - not to mention the quality of the testing equipment and the test administrator.
Here is an article that explains this issue: http://www.onecallmedical.com/PDFs/E...0ISSUE%205.pdf So, being WARM during a nerve conduction test and not the usual icy cold our extremities tend to get is a very important thing in the testing. I am promising myself that the next time I get a Nerve Test, I'm bringing a snug wrap and a hair dryer to thaw out the key appendages!
Most important of all, is not the 'cause' of a neuropathy - it's what's happened to your body in response to whatever cause[s]. Then further what CAN be DONE about it. Any doc that says 'neurontin' or nothing? Is NOT a PROFESSIONAL. PERIOD! There are many other options that address the hundred different sorts of neuropathies - some [maybe many{?}] can/might heal/ease pain to some degree. Each of us is so different in what's happened to us that to find out what all has happened and find common aspects would be beyond mind-boggling.
Keep searching and don't give up. We all won't admit it, but I bet I'm not the ONLY one who's stayed up nights and churned all days thinking about the WHAT's CAUSED THIS!? While I have a good idea about myself? I'm not gonna admit it out loud to docs or anyone my thoughts because there is nothing of substance [medically] other than instinct to prove the cause/effects of it all. It WAS however, my self-instinct that made me persue what was going on and get eventually treatment that I should have had from the get-go. Hindsight tho, doesn't change the 'What-Is-Now' and that aspect is what you must work on NOW. So do not give up as long as you can.
I Wish I could help even more? But there are limits in this world. So here! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote