View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for that Snoopy.

Wow. That is the clearest explanation I have ever read about lesions in the brain. It clears up a lot.

One thing that strikes me in reading this is the complete randomness of MS in terms of whether or not it has hit eloquent or non-eloquent areas of the brain. So I guess it's just luck of the draw depending on what part of your brain your body decides to attack.

My diagnosis was relatively easy because of the "characteristic lesions" -- I had Dawson's Fingers (periventricular lesions) and lesions in the corpus callosum. Throw in optic neuritis for the first symptom and there wasn't much question I guess. But weirdly I had no oligoclonal bands in my spinal fluid. I don't really understand that because apparently 90% of people with MS have the O bands.

Anyhow, I guess there are only "typical" patterns that can serve as some guidance but as this article points out not every symptom matches a lesion and vice versa.

Not to throw a wrench into matters but I just recently read that researchers think there may be 4 identifiable "types" of lesions. All of the lesions one person has are only 1 type--they just may appear anywhere in the brain. If they can target whether you have type 1, type 2, type 3, or type 4 they may better be able to determine which drug will work for you.

Last edited by Natalie8; 04-22-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Natalie8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote