View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

gmi,

I teach career tech courses in medical transcription, so a master's degree wasn't a requirement for my employment. However, it was recommended that I get a master's degree, so I've been working on it and have 12 credits. I would have actually graduated by now, but because of the cancer and the neurological problems, I had to take some time off. I am taking two classes this semester, and will graduate in May of next year, but that didn't seem to matter to my department when they voted to deny me tenure.

What really hurts is I've noticed members of my department seems to be shunning me. I'll walk by and they don't speak to me or even acknowledge my presence. I've done nothing to deserve that. I know my department head said that the department's decision wasn't personal, but all I can think about is that they don't want me there. It is personal when you're the one being rejected. And all this happened the very week that my husband and I split up and I had just moved out. (We've since gotten back together.) On top of everything I've been through with my health and with my marriage, I certainly didn't need to lose my job.

(My students are all furious and wanted to write letters and picket, but I discourged them from doing that. It wouldn't help, and might look like I had put them up to it, which I would never do.)

But at least I have a year to find something else. A lot can happen in a year.

Thanks again and hugs to everyone.

I just doubled the value of my SUV! I filled the tank up with gasoline.

(That used to be an insult to the vehicle. Now it's a sad commentary on the price of gasoline!)
Shashi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote