View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb yes, there was a patent granted..

to Merck. But it was a LONG time ago. The production and chemistry of
CoQ-10 has improved markedly since then. I suspect they could not come
up with a bioavailable form, so dropped the combo. Many studies years ago
did not find much positive effects from oral CoQ-10. But that has changed
recently. For example, the first CoQ-10 supplements were powders, and did not work. Softgel enhanced dosage forms have totally replaced the powders.
I don't think the statin combo would have been a softgel..it would have been a tablet. Drug companies have to prove efficacy now, and so the CoQ-10 was not going to fly at that time.

Some doctors do know about this interaction/depletion by statins. But the
drug reps in general do not inform... what patient is going to shell out at least
$40/month to pay for OTC CoQ-10? When their copay is covering the statin?
Most people I counsel, get very paranoid when they find out that these drugs do harm. I figure the sales would be significantly less, if patients could choose. It is reprehensible that this data is withheld from patients. Totally reprehensible.

Now the pipelines are focusing on HDL raising drugs, since the patents on the old statins are expiring. The beneficial effects of lowering LDLs are not as great as those raising HDLs... so we will see significant direction changes soon.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote