View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanNDomsMom View Post
Nope, I certainly don't perceive others as losers for using a mobility aid. I know I have to stop thinking that way, and I'm trying! This is the worst time I've had since my dx and I'm totally frustrated. Trying to think positive about the whole thing.
Jenn, When using or thinking of using a mobility aid think of it as a quality of life issue -

If you didn't use the scooter would you be able to function right now? Could you do the things you do without the scooter? If the answer is no then at this time you need that scooter to function in your daily life - quality of life.

Positive attitude: I think everyone needs to have one. It can help many get through or deal with this disease and life in general but there are many who no matter how good their attitude is still struggle living with this disease on a daily basis.

I understand your frustration except I usually have anger at the same time

This disease affects my legs the most and 5 of my 6 exacerbations have severely affected my mobility. It's not a positive attitude that has gotten me through those exacerbations, it's anger, frustration and determination.

At the time I'm dealing with the exacerbation there is not a single ounce of positive attitude in me. Positive flew out the window along with my mobility.

Getting angry works best for me although I don't try and get angry - it just happens. My anger is never directed at someone...well.....ummm....I have been know to curse my neuro when trying to walk since he is the one who told me to walk even when I don't feel I can ( I adore him ).

My anger is usually directed at my legs and this disease. I might be odd but this approach works for me.

I will add - I shed a lot of tears during this process.

Hang in there, Jenn
SallyC (05-02-2008)