View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkavenue19 View Post
Well I've always been sensitive and cried easily when people yell at me or during sad movies, etc. but it seems to be heightened lately. He'll do little things that he doesn't think are a big deal, but they hurt my feelings and I'll start crying or just feel hurt. My mom did scream a lot when I was younger and it wasn't always the best environment but I always knew she loved me. Still, I moved in with my dad and stepmom when I was 16 and a lot of issues I had (being upset and angry all the time) went away. Lately I've been feeling upset a lot or stressed out and maybe it's just being in college, but I'm trying to figure out if it's something more. Thanks for replying!
Hi Katie, I think that some people are just more sensitive. If you are I think that it helps to learn how to work with it. It might help if you "untie" yourself from the effects of your mother's screaming. When you get upset in the present do you think that some of your feelings come back from the past (your mother's screaming) to complicate things. With focus you can release yourself from this. I have done it and I decided to try it with my 7 year old daughter and it worked for her too. I was a screamer after my second child was born (from the stress). This went on for 2 years until I came to my senses. If she was around anyone who was upset she would shake. I talked to her about it and told her that she was just remembering when I would yell and that this was in the past and that she was safe now from it. The next day she told me "Mommy I don't shake anymore!" Just understanding this released her from it.