View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Someday i will be forced to quit forums altogether

I have an emotional dysregulation problem.I also tend to post a lot of useful information to a number of forums.Unfortunately from time to time i lose the plot big time. It's part of my symptom profile. It's funny how some symptoms are more acceptable than others even though none of us get to choose the symptoms we have.
You never get to see someone blocked or banned from a forum for being depressed and yet depression is no more or less a valid symptom than emotional volatility.

Much is rightly made about discrimination and mental illness but it is beyond any reasonable intellectual debate that a form of apartheid occurs when it comes to the tolerance shown to some symptoms/behaviours of mental illness over others.

It is one reason i have an ambivalent view of all mental health forums. It's in my altruistic nature to try and help but i am very wary of forums because of the invariably negative response i receive when ironically i need the most support because i am struggling the most with the kind of things that make me mentally ill.

I have no doubt that someday unless such apartheid ends i will be forced to quit forums altogether .The straw is only waiting for the right camel's back to be broken.