View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb02 View Post
On Sunday afternoon, I began to feel like I was having an allergic reaction -- similar to the feeling I had during my last tysabri infusion but not quite as bad. I was coughing for a few hours and then felt as though I was having trouble breathing (tightness across throat and top of chest). I finally took a benadryl and decided to go to the ER. When I got there they checked my vitals (all were fine) and told me I may have a 4 to 5 hour wait. I waited 1/2 hour, coughing had stopped, checked myself out, and went home and took another benadryl.

On Monday I went out to my local clinic and saw a nurse practioner. PCP is on vacation. They gave me a breathing treatment (did not seem to make a difference), she said she thought I had a sinus infection based on my stuffy nose and some fluid behind my ears, and wanted to presribe an inhaler for breathing even though I was not wheezing and oxygen level was 98%. I explained that I did not think I had a sinus infection; was stuffy due to taking all of the benadryl and the spring season. I am not exhibiting any of the other signs of a sinus infections. I also mentioned the possibility that I could be reacting to the tysabri or I could be exp the ms hug (already have it in my rib cage), but she just looked at me. She had no idea what I was talking about. She prescribed an antibiotic anyway and I thought it would not hurt to take it.

When I got to the drugstore the pharmacist told me that there was a 10% chance I could be allergic to it (related to penicillin -- I am very allegic to it).I am really glad she caught it. So I called the nurse practioner. Her nurse called back 5 hours later, said she knew that there was a chance of an contradiction but that I am running out of options due to allergies.(also allergic to sulfa). So I told her I was not taking a drug that could cause anaphylaxis reaction; especially since I was not convinced I even need an antibiotic.

I have to wait until Monday now to see my pcp. He does not prescribe antibiotics unless it is clear that you have an infection. He is also the doctor that dx my ms prior to my neuro. I was supposed to see him tomorrow, but they just called and said he would be out of the office. They wanted to know if I wanted to see someone else. I said no, "I already tried that." I am afraid he is interviewing. This clinic (part of an HMO) has been losing alot of doctors.

Sorry for the long post. Health care in this country sucks. I am fortunate becasue I have good insurance. I felt sorry for all of those people sitting in the ER who just looked kind of lost and desparate.
Sounds like they were prescribing Omnicef to you. I've got an allergy to amoxicillin (and probably all of the other penicillin based meds) and I've taken Omnicef a couple of times now and not had a problem with it...yet!

But, I always make sure that I've got some Benadryl with me when I take the first Omnicef and make sure my dad is close by with my mom's epi-pen, just in case I get an anaphylaxis. So far I havent had a problem.

But, you're right, if you're even the least bit worried that the antibiotic will set off an anaphylaxic reaction, you shouldnt take it. (I was desperate for something to help my problem when I tried the Omnicef)

Hopefully your doctor will be "back in the office" soon and he'll figure something out for you.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote