View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

The fact that your throat felt like it was closing too (not just trouble breathing), and that the sensation let up after a while (perhaps from the Benadryl) sounds a lot like an allergic or asthmatic reaction.

The hug makes it difficult to catch a breath, but I don't think I've ever heard of it causing the throat to swell shut.

I know that lesions in the upper C-spine (and/or brainstem too, perhaps) can cause breathing difficulties. Again, I don't know if it would literally close off your throat though. If it was more of a choking sensation, I've had that from the MS spinal lesions, and from GERD. Can you try Nexium to rule acid reflux out?

I have another friend with MS who is going through this too. She has lots of allergies to things, but they are currently leaning towards asthma. Have you ever tried a puffer (there's one available for "emergencies").

Cherie