View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 03:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Dear T,
I understand what you are saying. People allow us to be depressed on-line but not many of the other things that comes with various mental disorders -- like angry, irritated, confused, jumpy,........

But it is not only true of my on-line experience. In real life (so to speak) people can deal with me when I depressed, but when I am in one of my wild moods they get defensive or try to get away from me. You are right to point this out.

The worst thing about on-line MI forums is that we are self-segregated usually. Usually the forum is made up of other people with mental illness, not like in my other word where the ratio is skewed to those with dx'd mental illness being in the minority.
The on-line communities should be more accepting.

How do you think that people can be more helpful to people on-line when they get in a mood that is not commonlly acceptable to other people?

Mari

Some forums have what is called a 'resting room' where you can voluntarily put yourself if you are losing it or just don't feel up to the main forums or can be put in by site owner/mods. You can sound off there but don't have access to other areas.Other people can choose to 'visit' you in there but for the purpose of being supportive rather than tearing you off a strip or two.

It's better than being banned and left thinking 'I was ok when i was feeling well enough to be helpful but now i'm feeling crap and dysphoric i've been banished with 'LEPER' stamped on my forehead.

What hurts me most is that those who most find fault with people like me are the one's that may not do much wrong but sure as hell don't put themelves out to help others like a wayward creature like myself does.