Thread: Trip to ER
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Your description reminds me of a pain that I started getting in the early 80's, that I visited the ER several times with.

The pain was between my ribs, at the bottom, and (now, after having MS and babies) I would probably best describe it as a bad spasm or contraction feeling. It was very painful though, and I normally couldn't talk or barely breath when it was all on. It would eventually have me in a fetal position on the floor . . .

What would happen is I'd get a soreness (like internal bruising) feeling, which over about the next 15 min, would eventually escalate to "all on" pain in that hole at the bottom of the rib area, and sometimes even in my back. The pain did feel like labor pains in that it hightened and then would let up, at least for the first while, but eventually it was one long contraction sensation.

They suspected a gallbladder problem (even though it is not in the gallbladder area ), but after plugging me full of meds, they'd send me home with no answers as well. This occurred one time only, once every 6 months, for about 4 yrs.

Finally one time I started passing blood instead of stool, and they took me in acute care for a colonoscopy. I was dx with Ulcerative Colitis and sulfa meds to manage it over the years. The meds didn't help with the immediate pain, but over a few days they must have affected the "ulcered" part of the disease process because the pain would let up for another several months.

I have since learned a fairly simple trick for managing the acute pain that comes with this. As soon as I feel the "bruised" feeling come on (I would normally ignore that level of pain, so I have to be disciplined), I take 2 X Advil. I don't know why, but if I get it early enough in the process (within 10 minutes), it STOPS the intermittent/labour and all on pain from ever coming on.

This didn't help the disease process though, and I normally end up getting another attack within the same or next day. That's when I start on the Sulfa drug . . .

The LDN I am taking for the MS seems to have really helped this, and I haven't had to use the Sulfa drugs over the last 3 yrs. I have had the sensation coming on, but once I take the 2 X Advil, and I've never had another bought of pain (later that day, or for about another year).

Something to consider anyway . . .

Cherie

So, Cherie, was the Ulcerative Colitis something brought on by MS? Or something separate from MS?

Yes, labor contractions was how intense it was. Only, at the worst of it, there was no rest time... it would stay solid for a good 30 minutes with or without meds. And it does make a difference having gone through childbirth as far as understanding just how intense the pain is. Some of the youngins working in the ER, I know, just doesn't quite get it. They would get a little impatient when I couldn't "just calm down and slow your breathing"...

Thanks for your input.

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006
BETASERON (Quit May 2011)
COPAXONE (Began June 2011)
Friend2U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote