View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I agree with Snoopy, Keri . . . you should always be checked out if you are in pain and not "assume" anything is due to the MS, especially the hug.

Here is some information on it:

"What Causes the "MS Hug?"

It is caused by a lesion on the spinal cord and is technically classified as a neuropathic pain called a “paresthesia,” which refers to any abormal sensation. The sensation itself is the result of tiny muscles between each rib (intercostal muscles) going into spasm. These muscles have the job of holding our ribs together, as well as keeping them flexible and aiding in movement, like forced expiration.
What Does It Feel Like?

Like many MS symptoms, the “MS hug” feels different for different people – it also feels different in the same people on different days or at different times of day. It can be:

As low as the waist or as high as the chest; rarely it can be felt as high as the shoulders and neck

Focused in one small area (usually on one side or in the back) or go all the way around the torso

Worse when fatigued or stressed

Present in “waves” lasting seconds, minutes or hours or can be steady for longer periods of time

Described as sharp pain, dull pain, burning pain, tickling, tingling, a crushing or constricting sensation or intense pressure

The following suggestions have been taken from different patient accounts of what helps them – different things may work for you at different times:

Deep Breathing Exercises: Breathe in as deeply as you can (really engaging the diaphragm) through your nose and blow out through your mouth.

Apply Pressure: Place the flat of your hand on the area and press fairly hard.
I have even heard of people wrapping themselves in Ace bandages for the same effect.

Creative Visualizations: Close your eyes and picture different images that represent the sensation, then visualize doing something to get relief. Try different images to find what may work for you. I have heard some people picture several thick rubber bands around their bodies, which they are cutting off one by one. Another version is plastic wrap around their torso, which is getting unrolled, releasing their bodies and allowing them to relax.

Increase Fluid Intake: Try lukewarm herbal tea for relaxation and plenty of water.

Wear Loose Clothes: For some people, the sensation occasionally feels like an unpleasant tickle when touched by fabric, or feels like a waistband that is too tight. Loose-fitting garments may help.

Massage: Some report amazing relief from massage, especially manual lymph drainage massages. I can report that Thai massages helped me relax while I was having this symptom, and made it feel much better during the massage and several hours afterwards. Start with your favorite type of massage to see what that does.

Warmth: Heat helps some people and makes it worse for others. Try a warm bath or heating pad to see if this provides some relief.

Analgesic Creams: This didn’t help me, but for some it is the answer. Try it on a small spot first to make sure the sensation doesn’t become unpleasant (especially with some of the menthol-based products) before smearing it all over your body.

Ibuprofen: Advil or Motrin has worked for some people. Be sure to take it only on a full stomach and for a limited amount of time (less than two weeks) to avoid gastrointestinal bleeding or gastritis.

What Medications are Available?

Many of the medications used to treat the “MS hug” are very addictive and should be used only with caution and careful monitoring by your doctor. These include:

Antispasticity Medications: These include Lioresal (baclofen), Valium (diazapam), lorazepam and Xanaflex (tizanidine).

Neuropathic Pain Relief Medications: These include Lyrica (pregabalin) and Neurontin (gabapentin)."

http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms/a/ms_hug_pain.htm
http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms/a/ms_hug_tips.htm

As it is just an "abnormal sensation", everyone seems to describe it quite differently. For me, what it feels like when I am in an attack is:

- numbness, but the skin feels burned and hyper-sensitive
- a large 8" elastic belt cinched very tightly around my mid-section
- sometimes hard to get a full breath unless I lift my arms over my head

I'd be really interested to hear other's description of the hug, especially for those who KNOW that is what they were experiencing. I think too many people attribute their aches and pains (and other conditions) to the hug because we haven't really nailed down what it feels like.

Cherie