View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I was hospitalized and ended up having the blood patch from my LP on Monday.

So, Monday and Tuesday I felt fine. Was looking forward to returning to work yesterday. Got up and had a debilitating headache. Could not get up. DH took me to the ER. They ran a liter of NS with 500 mg caffeine in it (I never even heard of a caffeine drip before- and I am a NURSE!!)... didn't help. Went to PACU. THe Anesthesiologist wanted to take a conservative approach, cause I was very dehydrated (no one told me to drink lots of water before the LP). So, 7 liters later (3 of which had 500 mg caffeine - talk about jittery), I still had the headache... so they ended up dong the blood patch. YAY. Talk about fun....

So, I have ANOTHER 24-48 hours of laying around to do - UGH... My hands and arms are full of holes, I feel like a pin cushion, literally...

Moral of the story - if you have an LP - DRINK a boat load of water the day before and day of... until you think you are turning into a fish. Drink more when you come home along with gobs of caffeine. Also, if you have the h/a, go for the blood patch asap. It is amazing, and works like a charm!!!

So, I am back, have to catch up!! I may do that after a nap - didn't get a wink of sleep in the hosp... big surprise, eh?

Connie

Had onset attack in 4/2000

Can stop blaming myself for symptoms now.

Visit me on
beautytransforming is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (04-24-2008), LoveCats (09-23-2014), sugarboo (04-24-2008), yeahbut (04-24-2008)