Thread: opiods
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Excellent information. I have used the Duragesic Patch and now it's generic form: Fentanyl Transdermal System, since January 9, 2002 without ill effects. I am using 125mcg/hr and changing them every 48 hours.
The fentanyl in these patches is many times more potent than morphine (I believe Mrsd can verify this) yet I am not addicted - dependent, yes; addicted: NO...and there is a huge difference in the two. I have driven my car since the beginning of using this med and have had no accidents or tickets and I have literally driven from one end of the country to the other. I am able to function normally...my hands are steady, my eyes are clear with normal pupils, and I function normally in every respect. I even walk a mile or two every day! The point is - people with true chronic moderate to severe pain rarely ever have a problem with opioid use. Addiction can happen but it's extremely rare...less than 1 percent though some will argue it can be as high as 3 percent. Either way - this means 97 to 99 percent never become addicted....a percentage I can live with.
I am now 76 years old and my doc and I will continue to use this medication for my pain management until a cure is found or my life ends. My untreated pain on the Mankowski Pain Scale is rated a 7 to 9.5 and my treated pain levels are a low 2 to 4. I have become so accustomed to the 2 to 4 levels that I now virtually ignore it. I feel fortunate and blessed that this medication works for me and my wish is that all sufferers of chronic pain can find a med that will work this well for them. I am convinced that whatever one uses it must be titrated for maxium relief and in the blood stream 24/7/365.
Good luck to everyone.

Last edited by DanP; 04-24-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added the strength of the patches I am using.
DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote