Thread: opiods
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dan P,

I am right behind you and agree. I wish I didn't have to take the opiates but at least I can function while on them. I just started the Duragesic patch about 16 days ago. However, it is 12mcg and I still take Vicodin once a day for BT pain. I have noticed quite a difference in my pain levels but I am certain it will be "upped" as time goes on. The only thing I complained about to my spinal pain management doctor yesterday (who by the way has a background in Internal Medicine as well as Pain Management) was that I hate the sweating and that it wears off too soon. He said it was common for it NOT to last a full 72 hours and that 80% of that patch is absorbed in the first two days. Anyway, he rewrote the script for every 48 hours. And the whole deal with patch in a nutshell is two things; bypassing any GI issues and having consistent relief without the ups and downs of short acting meds. I can still feel the radiculopathy a bit but for other aches and pains it is working well.

Cycelops,

I have never had my GP deal with my neuropathy or spinal issues. It just isn't his area of expertise. But for the spinal issues it has always been a pain management doctor; one group was with the Medical Center (pain clinic) and the one I see now is with another hospital and Director of their pain clinic. I have never had any trouble being presribed opiates at all. But I have heard from others that they run into the same thing you are speaking of. I just haven't. If anything, they tried everything they could think of...I just can't tolerate meds like Neurontin or Lyrica and have to stay away from the anti-inflammatories other than an injection. Anyway, I realize this forum is of course the neuropathy forum but for spinal issues my current PM is the best! And 9 times out of 10 my Neurologist is in agreement with him. So, I just haven't had issues getting the meds I need.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote