View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused I don't have any curve either...

I am 28 years old and have to lean against a wall to bend over to put socks on etc.. Now I just wear slip ons. I've been telling my doctors of my back problems since 1995 (when I was 15) and, I believe primarily because of my age, physical issues were pretty much dismissed instantly.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia when I was 17 and have deal with that off and on. It's been getting particularly bad recently and my SPINE hurts... I get weakness in my muscles.

I ALSO hold my shoulders high. The muscles in my neck and shoulders are constantly hard and sore from doing this... I'm not sure when that started, but I also have anxiety and I just assumed that was the cause.

I went to the OHSU Comprehensive Pain Center where I was asked a battery of questions (after filling out 15 pages of paperwork about my pain) by a nurse practitioner. After about the third question it seemed that she was disinterested... this happens to me with a lot doctors, partially because of my age and partially because of my mental conditions. I got my chart notes from the very first visit with my current GP and it referred to my "psychosomatic symptoms"... He didn't even test for anything! He, like most doctors I've seen, ASSUMED that because of my age that the pain must be in my head or because of my weight or fibromyalgia.. etc.. there's always an excuse.

If I spend too much time upright (usually in a chair is worst) my neck muscles get weaker and weaker until I'm sitting in my chair with my chin resting on my chest.

I also have a "buffalo hump" just under the base of my neck. I've mentioned it to several doctors and they all said it was just a fat pad and nothing more. They wouldn't listen to me when I told them it changes sizes etc.. sigh...

Anyway.. you aren't alone and I'm looking for any advice I can get as well. :-(

Anybody have any info on getting disability? Been struggling with that since 2004 as well...

Thanks everyone.

V-DubChick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote