View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans View Post
I got no instructions from the doc or his nurse either, in fact when I mentioned to the nurse that I heard about the caffiene she gave me that moose in headlights look

I learned everything here...funny thing was even knowing all this in advance, after the hospital people acted like it was no big deal....I didn't know what to think. I did what my NT buddies said and laid in bed for 3 days, with a headache....finally on day 5 I called and raised hell and got a the red carpet treatment as I entered the ER where they were waiting for me with fluids, demerol ( I guess to calm me) and the blood patch. I felt much better just like you...what an ordeal!!! (Then the test was negitive after all that)

So glad you are feeling better!!!!!!
I am sorry you didn't get instructions GJ...that's just not right

Even after following the instructions exactly, I've had the LP headache twice. In my experience, it really has nothing to do with the procedure, it has to do with how your body heals. I had the LP done by the same neuro all 4 times...two with a headache and two without...go figure. And I am a stickler for details! After the first one with the headache and suffering for 4 days...I literally crawled into the ER and layed on the floor in the front of the patient registration desk filling out the paperwork b/c I could not sit up at all. The person at the desk was very annoyed with me, but I honestly could not have cared less...

Then the fun came with then radiologist came out to get me and found out he couldn't do the patch under fluoroscopy b/c I am allergic to the dye. He had to call the anesthesiologist to come to the rescue. When they got done and rolled me over on my back, and tried to raise me up, I passed out. Think I scared everyone! Needless to say, I've been through the ringer with LPs and headaches. And then I had 2 more after that! The 4th one I had the headache and I went in for the blood patch right away. My neuro knew better than to make me wait more than 24 hours! It was a breeze b/c the anesthesiologist already knew the routine with me! He knows me personally! That's a help.

Bottom line...it's how you heal, not necessarily the procedure. I was flat on my back and followed the procedures to the letter each and every time. What I find coincidental is that the LPs that were negative for MS indicators were the ones that I did not have the neadache. The two positive ones I had the headache! Just coincidence say the neuros

I am glad you are feeling better too...I think everyone is. Those LP headaches are worse than migraines (I know from experience).

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sugarboo (04-24-2008)