View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 11:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't really know how "rare" or the true rate of incidence of AS in females. One prob. with the data available to patients, as I see it: The known stats are likely skewed because, more often than not, there is a huge delay in doctors dx'ing AS in both males and females; it's estimated that 10 or so years is the general delay rate. Too, men's health problems have historically been taken and treated more seriously and swiftly than women's, i..e., heart disease.

I'm sure that, in your searching, you came across info. to this effect:

Results of HLA-B27 may be a part of the puzzle because many who test positive never develop AS; and, many who test negative can still have and develop AS. The testing, along with family history, symptoms, imaging results, etc., can help doctors make the determination and dx.

Mine should have been a no-brainer for doctors (had the HLA-B27 test been done eons ago). My body and symptoms? As testing displays (quite consistently): bilateral and symmetric, including the SI joints. Time was not working in my favor, since much of the stuff did not show up in customary X-rays, bone scans, etc., for years. But, when it did, it was with a vengeance, and quite progressive.

Please, don't worry about what doctors think of you; it could be that time might also be the missing key - in that things not displaying now could in the future. Sucks, I know, yet I'd not rule it out.

The same rheumatologist who farmed me to a psychiatrist years ago apologized profusely when I was re-referred to him after the HLA-B27 results. I'm not one to "rub" things in, so I had to do what was best (for my own peace of mind and well-being) and stated that he not overlook the possibility of AS in others. When everything is leading to AS, it's not going to hurt doctors to order all the tests in the arsenal to rule in/out various, possible conditions.

To this day, my rheumy. doesn't speak much with me about the boo-boo, and that's okay. I understand the ICD-9 coding he ships to my insurance, and AS stares me in the face.

Hang in there .

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote