Thread: I got the call
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 11:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sorry it took so long to reply

Firstly, I AM NOT ANGRY. You guys are just giving me your experiences and your concern for me makes me feel cared for.
Secondly, I am having my first rib and scalene muscles removed on both sides. I too felt that having both sides done so close together was weird. I am seeing Dr. Bill Nelems at the Kelowna General Hospital in Kelowna B.C.
He is a thoracic surgeon and has done hundreds of these surgeries. Many of them were bi-lateral. A friend of mine that works with my dh had the surgery done about 18 months ago, bi-lateral done 2 days apart. He had a great deal of pain, and he says it was about 4 weeks until he could care for himself. He returned to work 2 months ago on graduated duties, and is now doing everything he used to do before his accident. That being said, he still has good days and bad days and some pain.
My doctor and I have gone over every scenario, and I have full confidence in his abilities. I spoke with the College of Physicians and Surgeons, and they refer Dr.s who want to learn about TOS to train with him. He is the number one TOS Dr. in Canada. He has worked with the Dr.s in Denver.
I spoke with my gp and nuero, and they both support this approach.
While I will most likely be bed ridden for 2 to 3 months, they all feel that I will have a better outcome doing it this way than waiting.
This will also be easier on my family then making them go through this twice.
I hope I have answered all of your questions.
Thankyou all so much for your concern. I wil bring it up to the Dr. again when I see him on Wednesday. It is always best to have all concerns addressed before going forward with something as serious as this.
Thanks, Tracy
trix is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote