View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 01:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguins View Post
Thanks, Victor - I look forward to reading it. I believe in being armed with as much confirmed info as possible!

As of now, they have had 9 people complete the treatment in clinical trial, 10 more do it off label, and 10 more in queue waiting to begin. Those are just the numbers for MS patients. I believe she said over 200 have completed tx for a variety of other auto-immune diseases.

Oddly (well, not oddly but...) over 18 years ago my mother underwent a similar type of tx process for cancer. She had her entire immune system wiped out with chemo before undergoing an autologous bone marrow transplant. This was when bone marrow transplants were still somewhat experimental. Anyhow, she had to live in the hospital, in isolation, for over 3 months when they shot out her immune system! (I was 13-14 years old at the time). Anyhow, maybe because I've seen someone actually go through it - and mind you, 18 yrs ago, I might not be "as scared" as I should be? Meds have come a long way in the last 18 yrs. Also, I watched my mother undergo many other experimental txs at the Natl Cancer Institute when I was a kid. Granted - the tx was NOT easy on her at all!! Downright frightening.

Here are some of the citations, and I will get more as soon as I can:

A. D. R. Huitema1,, M. Spaander, R. A. A. Mathôt, M. M. Tibben, M. J. Holtkamp, J. H. Beijnen, and S. Rodenhuis. (2002).
Relationship between exposure and toxicity in high-dose chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, thiotepa and carboplatin. Annals of Oncology: 13:374-384, 2002

LJ Ayash, JE Wright, O Tretyakov, R Gonin, A Elias, C Wheeler, JP Eder, A Rosowsky, K Antman and E Frei (1992)
Cyclophosphamide pharmacokinetics: correlation with cardiac toxicity and tumor response: Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol 10, 995-1000

NS Kolb, LA Hunsaker and DL Vander Jagt (1994)
American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics: Volume 45, Issue 4, pp. 797-801

A Elias and K Antman (1992). Minimising cyclophosphamide toxicity. Reactions: Volume 1, Number 383, 1992 , pp. 3-3(1)

-Vic
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
weegot5kiz (04-26-2008)