View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rgirl View Post
Be careful of the Trumpet Vine. It can also be pretty invasive and tear down the fence. Honeysuckle can be pruned back so it doesn't get so "wild" and rip down fences. A lot of people don't know that.

Also the butterfly bushes should be pruned down to the ground each year to keep them from getting out of control. I prune mine with the chain saw down to about 3-4 inches from the ground!

Sounds like you've got quite the perennial garden for the attracting airborne wildlife!!! We get a lot of butterflies...but also a lot of hornets and wasps. Thank goodness for pest control.

We've had about 5 hummers that return each year. It's about time to put out the feeders.

Fortunately, the fence is pretty new and sturdy. I'll keep an eye on it though. The trumpet can get fairly large around here, but most of them don't get too out of control.

I do have a lot of pests, now that you mention it. Any ideas for getting rid of carpenter bees and yellow jackets? I don't mind the bumble bees and dragonflies, but the other ones are down right mean.