View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat265 View Post
Could somone (or anyone) please explain how optic neuritis feels? How do you know when you are having an attack?
The first time I had ON, for about a week or so before the blind spots appeared, my left eye hurt everytime I moved the eye. I even had pain in my neck from moving my eye (not sure why I had neck pain)

The night before I got the blind spots, I had the Migraine From Hell. It was the worst headache I'd ever had. Next morning, the migraine was gone, but I still had a little bit of a headache.

and about 2/3rds of the vision in that eye were obscured by a giant blind spot. It still hurt to move the eye.

Went to the ER, they looked at my eye, and diagnosed it as "subjective left eye pain". Which basically means, that I was saying it hurt, but they couldnt tell if anything was wrong. My optic nerve appeared normal at the time.

Went to my regular doctor the next day and he must have recognized what it was. He sent me to an opthalmologist friend of his. The optho said it was optic neuritis, and that it should be better in three weeks. (took 4 months for the blind spot to go away, and about a full year for the eye to get better to a point where I could tell it was getting better)

I didnt realize it till I got to the optho's office, but my color vision was not right. Reds were desaturated (looked like there was gray in the red) and greens and blues looked weird.

I really like the color red now, and green is still my favorite color. It was a really depressing year when my color vision was weird. I'm a crocheter and a sometimes knitter. Yarn didnt look right to me at all. I kept having to ask people what color the yarn was when I was yarn shopping. Didnt do much crochet that year. Did a lot of knitting tho. Learned how to knit about 2 days before the ON hit me. I needed the challenge to keep my mind off the bad vision.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote