View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default TTS Surgery Survivor

I was diagnosed with TTS in March of last year after a year and a half of treatment and testing. I had the surgery November of last year and I could not be happier! I'm not sure who you are considering for your surgery (if you are even considering surgery), but MY advice would be to skip the ortho. The doctor that did my surgery is a reconstructive plastic surgeon. I know it sounds crazy. At least I thought it did. Plastic surgeon? Come on. Let me tell you, she is a genius. She has worked with many diabetic and non-diabetic patients with PN. She has done a lot of research and is extremely knowledgable about PN.

About the surgery: honestly, my pain is no where near where it was a year ago when I was diagnosed. I'm only six months into recovery and she said that I should not even begin to judge the effects of the surgery for 12 months. I may not be fully recovered, but let me tell you: if this is the best it gets I can live with it. This is much better than before.

After seeing this doctor I found that I also have TTS in my other foot that I thought was fine. Here, my other foot was just not as bad. It was determined after the sensation and strength tests that I had it in both feet.

Then I thought to ask her about my hands. Five years ago I began complaining to my medical doctor of pain in my hands. They tested me for carpal tunnel and said I didn't have it. I've dealt with the pain for so long, I never thought to ask her about it. That's when she told me that I had PN.

The TTS is only the location of the nerve compression. Just like CTS is only the compression of the nerves in the carpal tunnel, TTS is the compression of the nerves in the tarsal tunnel. She said that the EEG (I think that's what it was called) is not really the most accurate form of diagnosis when dealing with PN and it probably was just not showing up yet. She said if I would have that same test done now I would fail it miserably.

Sorry that was so long. Hope some of it helped. I'd be glad to chat with you about all this. I remember wishing I had someone to talk to when I was first diagnosed. Well, that's why I'm on here. I'm still looking for people who know what I'm going through!

Take care.
MissesV is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote