View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 01:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody View Post
I feel lost in these forums when it comes to one of my physical problems which is Ulcerative Colitis. Am I in the right place? Does anyone here have Ulcerative Colitis.

TIA

I have (had) ulcerative colitis (it was a rapid onset rapid developing illness according to the second pathologist who examined my colon after it was removed.) I had my colectomy on Mother's Day '02 and had a j-pouch constructed and the stoma taken down April '03 . . . four surgeries in less than one year!

Then in 2006, right before my daughter's wedding I developed my first Crohn's fistula, and have been on Cipro ever since. Crohn's brings a whole host of fun symptoms and manifestations and fissures is one of them. Pain that takes my breath away. . . I literally have to tell myself to breathe! I am on pain meds, and my gastro actually prescribed medical cannabis for me. (He is progressive and open to my input. . . necessary attributes of a good gastro.) I also suffer nocturnal incontinence on occasion. I usually sleep in 3 hour increments so I don't soil.

I would also be willing to field questions, but remember, your best resource is a good gastroenterologist. If yours seems unsupportive, or lacks incentive to be aggressive in trying new things, find another. I fired an entire group, one by one, locally, before I found a good one.

This is a disease that you want to be informed about, but be mindful of the fact it is different for every patient. Right now I would say yogurt, cut out sugar as much as possible (I am a sugar addict! I know it is hard) and stay hydrated. If your pain and cramping are so bad you cannot eat, see a doctor and follow through for some relief.

Last edited by Chemar; 04-29-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: neurotalk's guidelines on other forums
lefthanded is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote