Thread: UK members?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLAREMARIE View Post
Hi Tracey and "Horizontal One"!

Oh where do I start? (trying to type with freezing cold hands!). Mine all started just over 6 yrs ago. I had shoulder/neck/arm pain. Went to Gp. Told it was frozen shoulder - had some physio! That didnt work so refered to consultant in orthapeadics - told it was impingement of the rotator cuff, had steriod injection and more physio. That didnt work so had arthroscopy and more physio. That didnt work so had acromioplasty (subacromial decompression) basically where they take away some of the bone on the rotator cuff. Had more physio. That cured that part but still in pain so my consultant gave up on me and refered me to another for a second opinion. He did Adsons test and I had no pulse in either wrist and he declared I had TOS. That was 2yrs ago now and I'm still having investigations. I was then refered to a vascular surgeon who is on the conservative side of diagnosing TOS. Here are my symtoms:
- Toothachey nerve pain from ear down neck, down shoulder to hand.
- Sharp stabbing pains through middle shoulder on movement/reaching out.
- Freezing cold hands, nails often turn purple/blue.
- Swollen/hot/burning white hands when walking/holding arms down for time.
- weak/clumsy hands (broken loads of cups & plates)
- low blood pressure
- Nose bleeds
- Unable to sleep due to uncomfortable and pins/needles numb hands
- headaches/migraines
- neck pain
- dizziness
I have had ct scan which showed compression of the subclavical veins so I assume I have both vascular TOS and the nerve type. But my consultant is still unsure that I have TOS!!!!! Going to see him soon and put him straight. Have had botox injections with varying success so I can only assume that surgery may be on the cards as they told me 2yrs ago. We will see. If not I am told my pain can be "managed" through pain clinic. Great prospect. I had to give up work 2yrs ago (I worked in a bank) as it was just too much/stressful. My husband and kids must be so fed up with me moaning and its hard not to let TOS become your "job" so to speak. One of the hardest parts is not to be able to join in things with your kids like any sports (badminton, bowling,etc) and that TOS is an invisable illness. Enough of my ramblings I need to go but keep in touch.

Clare
hi clare & helen,

i cant believe that they still havent given you a firm TOS diagnosis - espcially with the adsons being positive and the CT scan detailing the compression!.

im hoping this professor carlstedt is going to be the one who finally diagnoses me...if not then my search for someone who can will continue!.

i left my desk job as it was too uncomfortable - no one there understood, a lot of people on my team thought it was all in my head and would often talk about me when i was away from my desk (this was really distressing for me as it was just about all i could do not to cry due to the pain/fustration and really didnt need that too!) i now work in a school, no typing which is great, but still find it hard sometimes - eg, looking down at the kids books etc.

have either of you pursued a compensation claim?. im going to look into this as if this is a life long condition (which possibly worsens with age!...im going to be 27 this year!) then i may need to do this!

x
TraceyW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-05-2010)