View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Arrow I am sorry, but there is no answer

to your question that won't make you anxious.

We live on a thread, IMO in our complex society. Many of our drugs come
from abroad, so any terrorist or even anti-Israel action may cut off a great
percentage of our supply.

If a disaster struck, we'd have no water, electricity or fuel (gasoline).
The insurance companies will not allow early refills for storage, and even if they did, people would waste the drugs (experience has shown this).
Many drugs today are short dated, some only 6mos now, for expiration.
So you cannot safely stockpile them.

The Y2K disaster was a small taste of panic and paranoia..that I had to live thru. And with all the hype and media frenzy nothing happened.

The heparin situation right now is critical, and that only involves one drug.
Sometimes a standard drug will have problems and become unavailable for months. Sometimes patents are moved and interrupted distribution results.
People on controlled substances are not going to be viewed with favor for stockpiling either.

Our food supply is constantly at risk, IMO. One never knows when one is consuming some tainted lettuce/cheese, meat whatever, anymore.

If you feel you need to stock a cushion...then get your refill a few days early, if your insurance allows. After several months, you will have your safety stash.
You have to be organized, and rotate your pills so they don't expire. 3 days early for 10 months gives 30 extra at one a day.
But there is no way to predict what will happen if a major disaster affects supply or distribution of goods. Just a huge fuel shortage, could stop distribution of drugs and food cold.

You could obsess about this along with all the other disaster scenarios. But remember I grew up with Duck and Cover (1950's cold war), and as a child I thought any moment I'd be dead. I even had blood drawn at kindergarten for a Civil Defense Tag to keep with me always...it was very traumatic for me. But I still
have it in my wallet...I have a rare blood type! I will be prepared still and can still Duck and Cover.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brokenfriend (04-30-2008), Twinkletoes (04-30-2008)