View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Arrow

What I found was pretty much like I posted. Brown rice can be stored for 6 months under average conditions. That's because of the essential fatty acids in brown rice. Those oils go rancid quickly as they oxidize. It will store longer if refrigerated, but I don't. I just put it in a clean glass jar with a good lid and store it in a dark place.

On the other hand, white rice has the outer shell removed along with those fats. So, white rice isn't nearly as good for you but will store longer. Well, I love it too anyway If white rice is sealed in the absence of oxygen, you can store it for 8-10 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. - oh my

If brown rice is stored in the absence of oxygen, it will last 1-2 years. You need to keep it as cool as possible when storing it. At say 60 degrees F. it will last probably 2-4 years.

And, as posted, flour will not freeze. When you take it out of the freezer though, you should let it come to room temperature before using it.

Coffee is another thing. I just heard the other day that if you store it in the refrigerator or the freezer (in the freezer unopened and I was going to do that), it will get moisture in it regardless and you do not want moisture in the coffee grounds before it's brewed. I just keep it in a cool dark place.

Anyway, that's what I've learned over time for what it's worth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (05-01-2008)