View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Okay, here's my contribution.

We eat a lot of veggies in our meal plans. Besides drinking my fresh juice in the morning.

So if at night, I have made steamed carrots, brocolli, asparagus, zucchini, (whatever I steamed), well the next day, it's kind of limp, so while it might still taste good, it doesn't have the same appearance as the day previously.

So what I do is take all these cooked veggies, put in a food processor, add one egg or or egg substitute, some onion, (or shallots), some fresh garlic (or garlic powder if you don't have fresh), some parsley, (NO SALT), not needed.

Transfer the ground up mixture to a nice big bowl. Depending on how many veggies you have used, you can make a big batch or a small batch for just two servings. You get to know how to do this as you DO IT!!!

So in the bowl of mashed up veggies, you add about a half a cup of break crumbs (or cooked Quinoa), I've used both, does the trick.

Now (and this is unusual but it works), if you have some selzer in the house, add a bit. It puffs up the mixture in the pan.

So now you have the mixture, the breadcrumbs (or cooked Quinoa) and some selzer.

Mix all together and spray PAM into a frying pan. (if you don't care about calories, you can forego the PAM, and just add vegetable oil to the bottom of the pan.

Heat and then dip clean hands into the mixture and make either little balls, croquettes, or patties.

Then you carefully put them in the pan, making sure they are browned on all sides. Cook about ten minutes on medium, turning them from time to time. If you put the selzer in the mixture, you will see the patties puff up.

Then drain on paper towels.

(If you are having a party, you can make little balls, stick a toothpick and pass around as appetizers).

If used as a side dish, make them a big bigger.

Now how to serve these??

Alan likes them with honey and splenda. That's HIS thing. Not mine.

If I was not watching my weight or not a diabetic, I'd add a dollop of sour cream. There's low fat sour cream also.

Or you can get a nice applesauce and put some applesauce on these patties, or fitters or whatever you wish to call them.

These are very versatile, can be made to feed one or two people or a bunch of people (depending on how much cooked veggies you use).

I don't waste any veggies. If I cooked them one night, they get made into patties or fritters the next night.

IT'S ALSO A GREAT WAY TO GET KIDS TO EAT THEIR VEGGIES WITHOUT KNOWING THAT THEY ARE EATING VEGGIES.

They like the crispiness.

So Enjoy!!!
We tried this recipe a couple of days ago. It was REALLY GOOD.
Aarcyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (05-01-2008)