View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

We had a pilot go down here a few weeks ago.

http://bangornews.com/news/t/midcoas...747&zoneid=179

He was in an aerobatic plane and was last seen over Penobscot Bay doing some aerobatic maneuvers. People on shore heard a loud bang and then saw the plane disappear. He was an experienced pilot and a flight instructor who was very experienced with his plane, a single engine SIAI Marchetti SF 260.

Search crews were out immediately. Staging areas were set up at every harbor in the area. Private pilots were in the air nearby at the time and started searching as soon as the call came in. People with boats came from the mainland and from the nearby islands. The Coast Guard sent boats and helos. An oil slick and some debris was spotted immediately by a private pilot who was a friend of the pilot of the plane. The next day the CG picked up sonar readings indicating where the plane was. The Maine Marine Patrol and State Police divers recovered the body later the next evening.

If it was me, I would certainly hope that a rescue effort would be launched for me and a search and recovery would continue even when all hope was lost. I would also hope that no matter what the cost was, that my government would participate in that search, along with friends and family who would most certainly be out there looking!

I would hope even more that it would be done regardless of what the cost was. My taxes support search and rescue. I was a volunteer for many years and did many S&R ops and I NEVER asked nor did I EVER expect to be paid back for it.

I don't even think S&R should be considered as a for profit operation. While there may come a time when the government HAS to call their ops, due to time and budget constraints, the effort should be made to put a reasonable amount of time in, regardless of who it is, rich or poor. This IS after all America, we don't leave our soldiers or our citizens behind in times of trouble, do we??? What makes searching for someone who is lost any different?

( and yes FG, I immediately thought of you during all this! )

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (05-02-2008), snoozie (05-02-2008), tovaxin_lab_rat (05-02-2008)