View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Connie

In the beginning, I think we all (maybe not all) are in a state of denial about what's happening to our bodies.

It's the natural process of coming to grips with this MonSter of a disease that is going to change HOW you do some things. Every day will be different. Some days will not be any different than others, but some days will be.

Fatigue and pain are my two biggest enemies. One has to learn how to control them or they will take over. Learn how to live with them...it will be a symbiotic relationship. Otherwise, you won't get past it.

---my short story when I was first dx'd ----
I was in school full time finishing my Bachelor's degree in Horticulture...the last two years of the degree being the "physical" part of the program. The dx came out of the blue. The most difficult part was having to go to my classroom and tell everyone that I just been told I had MS...and had no clue how it was going to manifest itself but I was determined to continue with the program and graduate with my class.

Those next 2 years became very difficult. I had exacerbations every 3 months...spent more time in the infusion center at the hospital than I did in class...but my classmates were wonderful. We all got through it. I did not give in. I had one instructor that didn't get it, but I was determined to get through the program and I did. I had to work harder on things than anyone else did, and I had to take some summer classes, but I did it...I graduated with MY class with a 3.97 GPA #1 in the program!

Facing the MonSter is not giving it...it's taking the bull by the horns and dealing with it. We each have our own way of facing reality. You just have to find yours.

I don't mean to take anything away from your pain and what you are dealing with by posting what I went through, but I just wanted to let you know that I went through denial too...sometimes I still do 7 years later! It's how I cope.

As for the the way your Husband handles it...yeah...totally understand.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (05-04-2008), Koala77 (05-02-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), Twinkletoes (05-04-2008)