View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Make an appointment with a neurologist. The testing that they do usually begins with EMG's and NCV's . . .

Electromyography (EMG) is a technique for evaluating and recording physiologic properties of muscles at rest and while contracting. EMG is performed using an instrument called an electromyograph, to produce a record called an electromyogram. An electromyograph detects the electrical potential generated by muscle cells when these cells contract, and also when the cells are at rest. (df from Wikipedia)

Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) and Electromyography (EMG) are tests your doctor may order to measure nerve conduction and muscle action potential. These tests are performed to determine if symptoms (e.g. sciatica, weakness) are caused by a nerve or muscle disorder. Both tests may be performed. A NCV assesses how well a specific nerve conducts impulses by evaluating the speed of an impulse as it travels along a nerve. This test can help determine if there is nerve damage, the extent of the damage and if nerves have been destroyed. (from Spine Universe)

As a matter of fact, next week I am scheduled for both tests, on both my hands and my feet. I have had the tests previously, about 5 years ago, and recall the discomfort is minor compared to some of the pains, shocks,and burning I get in my extremities.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (05-02-2008)