View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Mad Smoking - I know, very controversial

Sorry for the long post, but I need to vent . . .

I know that a lot of people don’t like to share space with a smoker, just as I am sensitive to perfume, cologne, and other strong smelling scents. But that’s life . . . and we generally just put up with each other, don’t we?

Smoking has become socially unacceptable though, and the radicals are pursuing a smoking ban, even in OPEN air space. Over the years, in my province they have implemented new laws that ban smoking from most private enterprise establishments, like bars, pubs, and restaurants. These establishments set up areas where people who don’t want to smoke, don’t have to go, and vice-versa. Everyone is happy, right? Nope, apparently not.

Now there are new laws that are more stringent, and include OPEN air. Effective last month, people are not allowed to smoke for up to 30 ft from any doorway to a structure or building, which means smoking is basically banned from any downtown area. They are currently implementing more laws where people can no longer smoke on beaches, parks, on school grounds (even if in their own car), if a person has a child in the car, in rest home smoking areas, in prisons . . . basically no where. Most of these laws come into effect this summer, or by the first of the new year.

I don’t believe in the stated second hand smoke health risks, and even the World Health Organization's data proved there was nothing to that hype. In fact, they discovered that 22% LESS people, who were raised in a smoking home vs. a non-smoking home, ended up with lung cancer.

While smoking has dropped more then 50% in the last 20 – 30 yrs in the US, and certainly many more people refrained from smoking in enclosed areas over that time, asthma rates have doubled.

Fifty-nine percent of Japanese men smoked in the mid-1990’s (imagine all the second hand smoke there ). Japan had 3 times LESS the lung cancer rate as Americans, and had a longer average life span by about 3 yrs.

Here, we pay $6.50 per pack, JUST in taxes. With 25% of the population still smoking about a pack a day, the total revenue the government collects pays for the ENTIRE health care costs of all Canadians. Who’s going to pay that once that revenue is cut off because people can’t smoke . . . ?

None of that matters to the non-smoking activists though, and they are he!! bent on making our country a “smoke-free” place to live cause IT STINKS.

I have tried to quit smoking, and am respectful not to stand close to non-smokers, even though many of them reek of booze (even in the parks or at the beach, where it has always been illegal to drink), perfume, body odor, etc.. I am an awesome parent; I don’t drink, don’t abuse or neglect my kids, I feed them well, make sure they are involved in sports and healthy activities, guide them regularly on the evils of “taking that first puff” of a cigarette, smoking pot, etc. Smoking is my only vice.

Why don’t people see that if the government is stepping into our personal lives/parenting decisions, and if people are pitted against each other this way, it is a very slippery slope? What group is next; the obese will pay more taxes or be denied health insurance?; children will be taken away because parents start smoking in their homes again (because they are forced to stay indoors)?

Well . . . if these new laws pass, and they probably will, I have no choice but to find a way to quit. I know I won’t be turning a blind eye to people who play with their dogs off their leash in the park any more, or whose dogs are barking and ruin my opportunity for quiet enjoyment. I also won’t ignore the people who bring booze in their coffee cups, or who litter by spitting sunflower seeds in the baseball stands any more . . . what kind of example are they setting for our kids?

I'm angry and frustrated.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (05-02-2008), Becky21 (05-03-2008), dorrie (05-02-2008), MooseasaurusRex (05-02-2008), MSCherokee (05-04-2008), Pickles (05-04-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), SandyC (05-02-2008), sugarboo (05-03-2008)