View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
If it's any consolation, Cherie, in CA, one has only to use a sidewalk near a bar to see the wonderful results of this pig-headed legislation. Add to that, it's now official, the leading health concern in the U.S. is morbid obesity. If they want to legislate health behaviors, they should start by taxing fat.

Well, it’s only a matter of time before they ban smoking on the sidewalk too. That’s what’s happened here with our new ‘progressive’ smoking laws . . . we have to be up to 30 ft from any doorway or window.

We could always become radicals in the fight against obesity? Some of those people sweat more, and tend to have more gas . . . . banish them to their homes, I say!! Not funny, but how far will this nonsense go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
This whole smoking ban thing has been carried too far, I think. We as free americans, do things every day, that may kill us or, at least, shorten our lives. Smoking being only one of them.

It hasn’t been carried far enough as far as some people and our governments are concerned. Just wait . . .

... assuming that smoking does kill, Sally. Why are the Japanese and many other countries with very smoking per capita rates living longer then Americans and Canadians? Why don’t they have anywhere near the lung cancer rates we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
Yet, everyday, some people can go into a non-smoking bar, drink and still drive. No one cares right? Until they kill someone you love.

I hate rules too, Sandy, especially stupid ones. This lady, who is a major anti-smoker, has been hassling me in the park for the last 3 yrs. This year she approached everyone that was smoking (even from other communities) to tell them that smoking had been banned in our community’s parks, so they all slithered 2 blocks away to have their fags all weekend during the tournament. She was lying, it is not banned in any parks YET.

I had it out with her the other night and said “it’s not banned, but do you know what is against the law? . . . harassment”. I also said “drinking in the park is illegal too”, as she is an alcoholic who brings her booze in her coffee mug to the park. I can tell you, I don’t like breathing her air either!

She hates me now, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseasaurusRex View Post
My argument may seem sophmoric, but is Canada pedophile free? Rapist or drunk driver free? Illegal drug free? You know... REAL problems??!!

I guess you are gonna have to find a way to release that pent up stress from not smoking . . . so I'll be sure to wear a badge that says “I would smoke if I could”.

I'm hoping the pedophiles and rapists are in jail . . . but certainly those who aren’t, aren’t leaving a trail of smoke behind them anyway. Gotta love those sneaky bad habits.

The funny part about this whole law is that our premier, who is driving this “smoke-free BC” mandate, got caught drunk driving in Hawaii a couple of years ago. Lucky for him that his dirty habits are not so obvious . . .

I don't involve myself in other people's business, and I just don't want them to in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegot5kiz View Post
warning me to stop smoking may be hazardous (sp?)to your health

As it was there were already non smoking bars, so if ya wanted a non smoking bar they were not hard to find to make it mandatory, shows how govt can go to far, they are to be a mediator for the people and not a dictatorship

I think I'll wear that badge around you too then, Frank.

Most non-smokers don’t care that much about smoking, it is only a radical few that are pushing this . . . well, them and the government. The non-smoking movement is worth a lot of money to the Lung and Heart Associations, pharma companies (selling useless quit smoking drugs), and governments (at least while they can charge so much for taxes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZjanie View Post
BTW; after I quit smoking I gained 40 pounds so if you need a reason to smoke....there it is!!

Oh, oh . . . better not start harping on the obese people until I see what happens to me when I am forced to quit. I'll stick with harassing the drinkers for now.
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (05-02-2008), MooseasaurusRex (05-02-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), SandyC (05-03-2008)