Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Greyhound

there really are no "exact formulas" on supps for TS and all is very much dependent on individual deficiencies. even two people of same age with TS may have differing biochemistry. Also my son's needs have changed since we started using supplements in 2001 and he also has Crohn's disease so it wouldnt be productive for me to link you to what he uses as your needs may be different.
BonTech supps are the closest thing to an "exact formula" around, but as mentioned before, even there, while the majority of people seem to do very very well on them, some dont and that is likely related again to specific needs and possibly a reaction to the high B's or some other ingredient. Plus if cost is a factor it can get pricey as an adult needs quite a large number of TS-plus capsules per day I think............But overall if one wants a well researched formula for TS, Bonnie's come highly recommended by many. She also has a lot of good info on her site www.bonniegr.com

we dont use magnesium stearate as a supplement per se, as it is, from my understanding, more a filler than a well absorbed source of magnesium. It is usually added to most supps tho and often unavoidable

Did you take a look at mrsD's magnesium info on the Vits board?
that may really help you sort thru the different kinds of magnesium
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1138

if you click thru to individual products on iherb it gives you the details on ingredients and usually lists whether the capsules are vegan
eg this mag citrate by NOW

it took us a while to get the right mix for my son and it is trial and error unless you have a knowledgable healthcare pro for guidance

you mention taking St John's Wort and Inositol...I assume this is becasue you also have OCD,depression and /or anxiety? as they arent specifically tic reducers but rather help to boost serotonin

the basic premise with supps for tic reduction is to avoid anything that elevates dopamine and to supplement magnesium primarily, and supplement any other deficiencies, especially with those supps that promote neurological health

have you tried epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) baths...my son has them regularly

also
there is a very helpful reference book by Sheila Rogers on Natural treatments for TS
http://www.latitudes.org/book.html

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by Chemar; 05-04-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: adding Bonnie's link
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote