View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
Hi AMN, help me understand then because illegal immigrants really do not affect my life and I really don't understand. Please explain to me how they really affect your day to day life. I can think of so many other problems that do affect my day to day life. I am not being a stinker here. I really want to understand.
Okay, well, I live in a fruit belt and we are hosts to thousands of illegal immigrants (currently estimated at near 150k) who at one time came to work as farm labor and stayed. I am quite disabled and depend on certain public funding for my healthcare. In MI, that state funding is being drained by medical, food and shelter needs of non-citizens of the nation into which I had paid rather significant taxes for many years.

Let me qualify this with the fact that I am very aware that legal citizens are also draining these same resources.

These folks almost all work, but at jobs that pay "under the table", therefore, not giving anything back to the system. Every fall, roughly 800 new, illegal immigrant children enter our school systems, enjoy the resources until their parents move them on to a warmer climate.

60% of them will never graduate high school. 31% of MI's illegal aliens will be arrested for some type of crime this year, draining those resources and giving nothing back. 12% will drive uninsured vehicles that end up in collisions, again draining resources provided by tax-paying citizens of this nation. 70% will visit food banks 2 or more times between Sept. and Nov. It's really too much to type here, but a little googling will get you details by state, county, etc.

I agree that their work is needed, I understand that many Americans would refuse the work they do, and I do have compassion for the children of transient parents.

I also believe in law, and they are breaking it every day. Further, it is not adequately enforced. So, I am involved in trying to fix this situation.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (05-07-2008), DM (05-07-2008), KarenMarie (05-08-2008)