View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Energy Drink Fiend / Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by doydie View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has tried the '5 hour energy drink' or anything like it. I know it would be to expensive for a daily dose but if you had a special occasion like a wedding or for me, a trip to an amuzement park with the grand kids.
Doydie--

Always share your symptoms and discuss supplements (including energy drinks and caffeine) with your neurologist. People with heart problems, diabetes, or other conditions may not be able to take certain supplements or it could interfere with other medications.

I followed this path because I am careful, but I have no medical background. I am in my latter 30s and was diagnosed with MS just over 2 years ago. I am otherwise healthy, eat well, and get moderate exercise.

Stages to Combat Fatigue:
1. Are you eating properly? Daily vitamin? Do you get enough water and protein? Do you use products with Equal/Aspartame/Phenylalanine or MSG or nitrates? Try to cut them out of your diet. People with MS may be more sensitive to these compounds! Read every label! Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meats!

2. Are you exercising? Are you sleeping enough? Stressed? Be good to yourself!

3. Don't ignore Gatorade, mineral water, Ensure, or drinks with electrolytes. Tried coffee? Try espresso. Double espresso. Double espresso with coffee! Now, More water! Caffeine dehydrates you.

4. Next, try part of an energy drink with a meal at lunch and see how it makes you feel. Certain brands have sugar-free formulas--but only use the ones with sucralose, not aspartame! I prefer Rockstar varieties. All of them taste better chilled.

5. If you are not bothered by a small amount of an energy drink and feel less fatigued, try different varieties and brands, or drink more of the same. The 5-hour energy shot really works well on me, but I only drink 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle in one day. It has a screw-on cap and can be re-refrigerated.

6. There are fatigue medications that work for some of us MS'ers, but they don't work for everyone and you don't want to rely on them entirely as a means to stay awake. Speak to your neurologist.

I have days where I am mentally alert, but my eyelids won't cooperate. First, I try eating something healthy and drinking water--and if I still feel very groggy after an hour, then I resort to an energy drink.

Also, some of them taste awful!!!! and some of them are yummy. If you've ever tried Red Bull, you'll know to be prepared for exotic flavors. Look up "energy drink reviews" on your favorite search engine.

Best of luck! Be cautious! Take care of yourself! You know your body best.
hotfoot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote